Sunday, June 12, 2011

Berties Ice Cream (Brownsville, KY)

Bike:  KTM Super Duke R
Route:  Google Maps (the correct location of Laura's Hilltop Restaurant is Checkpoint B)

A friend asked if I knew any good places to eat in the Mammoth Cave area. I don't. But I've heard good things about Laura's Hilltop Restaurant in Brownsville, so I tried to try it out. That didn't work, but no worries. We did score a nice meal and enjoy a fun Sunday ride, anyway...

My buddy Mark got a bug in his helmet before we reached our second stop sign.




We met up with my brother-in-law, Uncle B, at Smiths Grove.

We followed Uncle B because he knows where Laura's Hilltop Restaurant is and Google Maps does not.
Also, he's a cop, so he'll keep us out of trouble. That's my theory.


Laura's Hilltop Restaurant.

Apparently Laura's Hilltop closes early on Sundays (3:00pm), so we didn't even go in. I'll try again sometime, but in the meantime we doubled back to find some lunch.

Back across the bridge.
Berties Ice Cream.
Hamburger Steak Box. She wouldn't tell me what their specialty was, but she said this sold better than the Ribeye Sandwich, so I had to try it. Uncle B got the Ribeye. Thumbs up all around.
Double Bacon Cheeseburger Box. Apparently "double" means double everything. Nice!


We ended up at Berties because of their roadside sign mentioning Ribeye Sandwiches. Also, it was a real nice day to eat outside.

VERDICT:  This place was a nice surprise. We didn't have any ice cream, but our sandwiches and fries were cooked to order and reasonably priced. I won't hesitate to stop by the next time I'm in the area on a nice day. I want a milkshake.

Mammoth Cave National Park.
Waiting for the ferry.


End of the [paved] road.
Back on the ferry.
We weren't lost; we just didn't know where to go next.



We found some real cold, real glass bottles of Coca Cola & Dr Pepper at some corner store somewhere.
Seriously, real glass bottles!
Everybody loves glass bottles on a hot day.


Rocky Hill, KY
Can you spot the county line?
I-65. This is as close as we'll get to an Interstate on this blog.

They don't have a whole lot in common, but all three are black and all three are fun.

Headin' home...


Route.



UPDATE (7/7/13):  I stopped again at Bertie's, this time with most of the family after we dropped Bubby off at Camp Joy for a week or so. Little Man got his first root beer float...

Little Man wanted to stay at camp.
Someday, dude...

Berties Ice Cream.

Berties doesn't actually sell root beer, but they'll make you a root beer float if you buy a root beer from the vending machine and pass it through the window. Works for me!

Ribeye Sandwich Plate.

First Root Beer Float.





Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment